"You can tell the age by the eyes", it says so (un) beautifully and so we are directly facing the most important skin care questions: What can I do about dark circles? What really helps? And: Why don't I necessarily need a special eye cream?
Before we can answer the questions in a comprehensible manner, we have to understand why the eyes are such an exciting care topic in the first place:
The peculiarities of the skin around the eye area
The facial skin and the skin around the eyes are very similarThe difference, however, is that the eye area is often drier, significantly thinner and therefore more sensitiveThe skin has a thickness of half a millimeter (!) In this area and that is incredibly little compared to the rest of the skinIn addition, the skin in the area around the eyes hardly has any underfat tissue.
In short: Our eye area is extremely thin-skinned .
As a result, the eye area is virtually created for your most common skin problems:
- Crows feet and wrinkles are caused by the dryness of the thin skin and the movement in the face by facial expressions, laughter and blinking.
- Dark circles come about because the skin is so thin, barely has lower fat and thereby shine through the small capillaries under the skin.
- Eye bags are added to the later episodesThey are the result of a weakened collagen scaffold and water deposits.
There are actually people who stop smiling to avoid wrinklesOr who inject Botox under the skin and thereby sacrifice all their facial expressionsThere are significantly healthier and more life-friendly methods for a young, fresh look:
We tell you what care and tips you can use to avoid dark circles and wrinkles.
What is good eye care?
One thing in advance: the earlier you start taking care of your eye skin, the longer you have something from itBecause like with many other skin issues, prevention is better than aftercareThis is all the more true because in men the formation of wrinkles occurs more suddenly than is the case in womenIdeally, care of the eye area should therefore start at the age of 20 or 25.
The skin around the eyes is particularly prone to drynessThat is why moisture is the be-all and end-all of eye careThis drives out some popular, if not really effective, home remedies for dark circles: the famous cucumber slice on the eyes or curd are often practiced remedies with limited effectivenessThey may cool the eye areas comfortably, but donate hardly usable moisture.
When caring for your eyes, you should use a well-formulated cream that intensely moisturizes and protects sensitive skin against stressIn a cream suitable for the eyes you can sometimes find the following ingredients:
- Urea : is the perfect way to retain moistureMore about the active ingredient urea
- Hyaluron : Supports the effects of urea and builds up the collagen structureMore about the active ingredient hyaluron
- Glycerin : Supports the natural moisturizing factor and thus the self-protecting function of the skin.
- Shea butter and high-quality vegetable oils : Naturally greases and protects the skin from drying out
- Vitamin E : The antioxidant strengthens the skin barrier
- Vitamin C : Makes the skin more resistant to inflammation, has an antioxidant effect and boosts the production of collagenMore about vitamin C here
- Panthenol : Supports the moisturizing of the skin as well as the collagen production and helps with skin healing
- Caffeine : The pick-me-up stimulates the blood circulation
What should a caring lotion for the eyes not contain?
The skin around the eyes is extremely thin and sensitiveIt is particularly important here that you use care products that are low in irritation and do no harm to the skin or body in any other way.
Avoid creams that contain substances such as:
- Bad alcohols
- Mineral oils (penetrating oils)
- as well as one of the listed questionable ingredients .
Unfortunately, it continues to be the case that many cosmetic manufacturers use these substances in their lotions, creams and care productsTherefore, be on the safe side and always check a care product with code check before you buy itThis way you can find out whether it contains harmful or dangerous ingredients.
A good skin care cream is a good eye care cream
A good face cream is formulated in such a way that it provides the skin with intensive moisture and at the same time provides the important active ingredients with which it supports skin stabilityBecause the requirements of the facial skin and the skin around the eye area are the same, you can use a well-formulated facial care on this topic as usual.
Because: Why should you spend more money on an eye lotion if your face cream does exactly the same job?
At the same time, this speaks even more for the fact that you are using a high-quality product with a good recipe for face and eye careCheck the INCI information whether it has the important substances for good moisture care and skin strengthening:
Urea, glycerin, tocopheryl acetate (vitamin E), sodium hyaluronate, ascorbic acid (vitamin C), panthenol (provitamin B5), caffeine.
5 tips in addition to the cream: what helps against dark circles, wrinkles and bags under the eyes?
As always, a cream alone does not replace a healthy lifestyle.
Our lifestyle habits have a major impact on how crow's feet, dark circles and bags under the eyes developYou should always keep these five tips in mind if you want to keep your eyes as young as possible:
- Drink plenty of water : this is the easiest and most helpful thing you should do about dry skin.
- Exercise a lot : Exercise improves blood flow to the body and skinAn appropriate exercise program has a positive effect on dark circles and can significantly slow down the formation of wrinkles.
- Reduce stress and sleep healthy : Psycho-hygiene and adequate sleep are important so that you feel good and look more awakeFor example, try to reduce stress with mindfulness exercises and create routines for a healthy sleep.
- Avoid alcohol, tobacco and drugs : the substances damage the skin immensely , only make you unnecessarily tired and cause swollen eyelidsThat's why you can quickly see people around the dark circles when they smoke and drink.
- Fight wrinkles without botox : Highly potent agents such as the Timeshift Serum also smooth wrinkles in the eye region and are very mild for the skin: They use a botox-like substance , which, however, has a gentler effect and therefore does not have the unpleasant side effects of botox treatment.
Eyes open and through
You can clearly see the success of anti-aging care from the eye area: a few wrinkles, a clear complexion and an alert look are the expression of a healthy life and make you look smooth and younger.
The good news is that eye care with the tips above is anything but difficultSo what are you waiting for?