The name sounds a bit like Pocahontas, but it has something to do with sharks: Squalane plays a very special role for skin and hair and turns out to be an excellent substitute for harmful silicone. Why?
In its pure form, squalane is a colorless oil and also occurs in chemistry as hexamethyltetracosane, Cosbiol, Vitabiosol or Roban. Our body already knows the substance: 15 percent of our sebum consists of squalane, and it is also found in blood serum. Squalane plays an important role in sebum: it makes the skin silky and is part of the skin lipids, so it ensures that our skin does not dry out. But more on that later..
Squalane, squalene, squalane or photosqualane?
There are many terms used around this substance and in fact they have a few key differences.
Squalene, with an emphasis on the last syllable, is the name for the substance as it occurs in nature. On the one hand, this includes our sebum. On the other hand, we also find squalene in vegetable oils such as wheat germ, rice germ, avocado, amaranth or olive oil. However, the best-known origin of squalene is that of fish liver oil: For a long time, the substance was mainly obtained from shark liver, because here it occurs in particularly high concentrations of around 30 percent. Hence the name:Squalusis the Latin term for shark, the philologists among us nod in agreement..
The problem with squalene with e: It is an unsaturated fatty acid that is easily oxidized and thus quickly becomes unusable. Because of this, squalene becomes hydrated and turns into squalane with a.
Squalanehas a longer shelf life than squalene and is used as a basis for cosmetic products. Due to its good properties as an oil, it is also often used as a lubricant. With the INCI information on ingredients, the substance already sounds a bit more English:: Squalaneis his name here. And because many consumers prefer a vegan, fish-free extraction of squalane, we often speak of purely vegetable squalanePhotosqualane– at least if the fish-free origin is to be emphasized.
Squalane in cosmetics instead of silicones
We have already discussed in detail that silicone does not belong in cosmetics. We cannot deny the smoothing effect of the mineral oil, but they arenegative effects of silicone more serious. All the better that squalane, as the body's own natural substance, has similar effects without harming the body or nature..
Squalane contributes to smooth, soft skin:
- As a liquid component, it supports the skin's hydro-lipid film and prevents it from drying out. It also protects against wrinkles!
- As a quickly absorbed oil, it makes the skin pleasantly soft, smooths it and thus makes the skin feel good.
- Squalane is also an antioxidant: howvitamin C or vitamin E, it fights free radicals and keeps them from causing damage to the skin.
- As an oil, it is easy to spread. We're also talking about a good ability to spread English. to spread, to distribute..
- It is particularly well absorbed and transports active ingredients deep into the skin.
Why is squalane so good for hair?
Some would say that squalane is imShampoo without silicone as ahair conditioner works. This is not wrong so far; however, squalane can do much more for hair:
- As with the skin, squalane prevents the hair from drying out and prevents brittle and split ends.
- If your hair is dull or brittle, squalane helps it on the jumps: Thanks to its oily properties, it makes the hair supple and smooth again. You also get a fresh, healthy glow.
- Used regularly, squalane unfolds its full effect: it can improve the hair structure in the long term. Noticeable, among other things, that the hair is easier to comb.
The good ingredients are the natural ones
We are convinced that foreign, artificial ingredients have no place in good cosmetics. That is why we only use natural components in our care products that we have confirmed to be compatible with the skin. Silicones have no place there and the example of squalane shows that it can also work well without harmful ingredients.
Take a look at our facial care products, especially oursHydra Defense Cream, theGentle Facial Cleanser and ourAnti-aging serum with squalane.