Dark eyelids, tired look. Your colleagues think that you struggled again last night. The truth is: you simply have dark circles. The heroin look is no longer trendy: we will show you what you can do about it as a man!
The cause of dark circles and the misunderstanding with the bags under the eyes
To understand dark circles, we need to know that the skin around the eyes is very sensitive, namely three times as thin as the rest of the skin on the face and six times as thin as the skin on the rest of the body. This is because it has a very thin subcutaneous fat tissue and no solid connective tissue. In addition, the vessels in this area are quite fine. If they are not well supplied with blood and the blood also contains little oxygen, it appears darker and shimmers through the thin skin. The result: dark circles.
The poor circulation and thus the dark discoloration under the eyes can be the result of: lack of fluids, insufficient oxygen in the vessels, allergies, incorrect or deficient nutrition as well as iron deficiency, drug consumption (this also includes alcohol) or external influences such as environmental toxins. What can also be hereditary hyperpigmentation.
(Look into my eyes, but not the dark circles underneath: lack of sleep and stress can be the cause of dark circles.)
However, we have to clear up with a misunderstanding: Eye bags are not dark circles, even if some use these terms almost synonymously. First, we all have bags under the eyes, namely to the side of the nasal bone. Second, we speak of swollen bags under the eyes when the eyelids are chronically swollen. That comes with age: the weakened connective tissue and the limp muscles give way when fluid accumulates in this area. The result is a pouch under the eye that can make you look pretty old. You can wear it with dignity or have it surgically adjusted. But that's another story that we leave to the surgeons. If you have permanently swollen bags under your eyes, you should first consult a doctor: It could be an indication of a heart failure, kidney disease or an allergy.
What can I do about dark circles?
- Good face care with urea: Doctors recommend that you use a face care cream that has a balanced amount of urea (urea). Urea is a perfect and effective moisture binder and quickly helps with dark eyelids ( more on this here) . We developed our Hydra Defense Cream exclusively for men's skin and made sure that it contains urea for that extra freshness kick. It also forms a protective film on the skin that keeps harmful environmental influences away from you. You can get the cream from us in the shop .
- Cooling: If you give your eyelids freshness, moisture and cold, this stimulates their blood circulation. Cucumber slices or quark for 20 minutes on the lids are well suited for this. In some cases, some advisors also suggest using chilled tea bags (black or green tea) or hemorrhoid creams, but this is not without risk: it can contain substances that trigger allergic reactions. Therefore, if in doubt, prefer to do without.
- Move! Sport is perfect for getting your circulation going and boosting your blood flow. We have read that quilting, bouncing or jumping rope is a preventive measure for bags under the eyes, as this reduces the fluid accumulation in the tissue. Whether that is true or not, movement does no harm.
- Fluid balance: Make sure you drink enough. Incidentally, this is also good for your skin in general: liquid has a vitalizing effect, promotes blood circulation and makes you fresh. It almost goes without saying: here you are well supplied with water or unsweetened teas. Not with alcohol or sweet drinks.
- Balanced diet: If you eat too little or too greasy or if you lack iron, dark circles are likely. Make sure you eat well. This is not only good for your skin, but for your body as a whole.
- Calmness: Lack of sleep and stress lead to dark circles, so you should make sure you sleep well and reduce stress. Try to develop a healthy sleep pattern; and if the job stresses you too much, treat yourself to a break - a walk, a game of sports or just what you like and do good!
- Refrain from smoking, drugs, alcohol. If you want to have dark circles under your eyes as quickly and as long as possible, take everything together. We do not recommend it. In this sense:
#staysober and good luck with the dark circles!